Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Surprisingly Pleasant Experience

Pleasant Experience #1:
Yesterday, I went to get the tag for our new van. I arrived at the DMV, knowing that I would have to wait for a significant amount of time considering it was one of the last days of the month. I only had to wait for about 10 minutes! Then I got the counter and the woman was surprisingly helpful, pleasant and easy to understand. Who knew that competent people actually worked at the DMV?! I did find out that we never need to buy a car in the month that we renew again. At first, they tried to charge me for a renewal and for a new tag (double the price). When the attendant noticed this, she called over her supervisor and reversed the charges, eliminating the additional fee. Apparently, she had to issue us an old tag and then issue us a renewal (new stickers for this year). Whatever-she got rid of the extra fee, that was all I cared about.

I then travelled home and let the dogs out and headed to the other side of town for Lamaze class. I knew that I would be early, but was trying to avoid traffic, so I stopped by my favorite bakery...Savages.

Pleasant Experience #2:
When I walked into Savages, I was greated by a friendly woman behind the counter. I was shocked! Savages is known for having the most incredible pastries and cakes but for having HORRIBLE customer service. She was incredibly nice, helped me to choose some breakfast food, carried on a normal conversation and then she rang up my total (which was correct for once-there have been many times that they ring it up incorrectly and then throw a fit when you want them to fix it). I was shocked!!! I almost told the girl that this was my "most pleasant experience at Savages yet". Instead of telling her, which might actually discourage the pleasantries or make her feel like she had been rude in the past, I just took my food and left with a smile on my face.

I then travelled to Mrs. Sallye's house, where I waited the remainder of the hour prior to Lamaze.

Pleasant Experience #3:
At Lamaze, Jesse and I experienced his first two viewings of actual births (in video format). I really expected him to run out of the room and vomit since he has such a weak stomach. However, he grimaced and ACTUALLY WATCHED THE VIDEOS! He asked wonderful questions, showing his concern for my recent discomfort. He even participated in the class discussion on labor and warning signs (he knew his material since we had done our reading!).

Overall, the day was very long but I had three pleasant experiences in one day! That is unusual!

No comments: