Friday, January 11, 2008

An update regarding the last post

Here is the most recent update from my mom about the situation posted in the last blog. And yes-it did really happen and yes-I do know the girl it happened to. Please read the following for more information.

Ladies,

I've had calls and emails from women with whom I have not had the pleasure of knowing personally. The subjects?
1) "Did this really happen here?"
2)"Is this another hoax email or just a new urban myth we all hear, during holidays, re: the man under the car who attacks women returning to their vehicle after spending their day or night feverous gift-buying @ the Gaggaria, Brookwood, Summit, et al?"
3)"Since I called the Homewood Police, they have no record of it, deny it happened, or, it's a ruse; so, I am calling you ((yours truly)) to ask if it is a real person?"

[[I will enclose an intra-office memo between the Chief and the Mayor, indicating their efforts to get to the bottom of the whole email thing. In addition to that statement, you will see that they have worked w/ the B'ham PD, who had also received the email someway, somehow (thanks to you who've passed it along w/ best of intentions, wouldn't you agree)? By the way, great work spreading the word -- even reaching as far as our ACIPCO friends -- and you wouldn't believe where else: Florida &Tennessee--former B'ham residents who still visit!]]

Both assigned a detective, from the aforementioned PDs, tracking the original & personal email of warning and awareness, to the mother, Dana, to ask about the "validity" of the email because the respective depts had no records!! She told them she'd neither confirm nor deny the incident -- because she had been asked by her daughter and the B'ham PD detectives not to publicize her name just yet. Various reasons were then provided to said depts upon their intrusion.It seems a bit like an attempt to censor/silence/suppress, in my opinion.

OK; here are your answers, ladies:
YES, it DID happen, just as relayed to you. And, guess what? The very real victim (SURVIVOR), Dana's daughter, HAS A D-I-F-F-E-R-E-N-T SURNAME (!) than her mother,since her mother had remarried! Hence, her true last name is not listed in police reports in either city; ERGO, SHE WOULDN'T SHOW UP ON ANY REPORTS, though she did call Homewood first and was referred to the proper jurisdiction: B'ham PD! Now, is that clear?!?

And, NO; I refuse to reveal her last name. Does this seem relevant to event or email? Any less a crime? Good God in Heaven, please hear this! Andrea,as all rape victims usually are, will be dragged through this horrible event again while defending her good name in court after the guys are apprehended.

Therefore, if someone is still dubious about the truth, you feel free to call me: Sylvia @ 942.3320. I will be happy to answer your questions and clear your doubts. I spoke w/ both Chief Dowd and Mayor McCulley this afternoon (Thurs, Jan 10, 2008) after the office email was passed along to my husband (those of you know our Mr Allen) who fired off a letter to both city officials and alerted me in the meantime. He received a prompt,defensive reply from our mayor. After my discussion w/ the interested and patient officials, we came to the conclusion that whether or not something of this urgent nature is true, citizens have the right to know what's going on in our area and HOW TO PROTECT OURSELVES if said criminal activity does indeed happen-- be it mythical, hypothetical, factual! The police chief was of the opinion that there would be "panic". (Has anyone seen women running amok, hysterically screaming, anywhere? Do let me know; wanna watch the mayhem). The mayor questioned the method of informing citizens. I made several suggestions and he is to meet w/ Dodd tomorrow to discuss strategy for their dilemma. I warned McCulley, who was very polite, that I will be following this matter of notification (I ask you to join me) to make sure this is not "put on the back-burner." He said he understood and had my phone number, as do you, since I offered to brainstorm w/ whomever.(Suggestions welcome -- anyone? Anyone?)

With your help, maybe even continuing to pass this on to someone you left off your initial "Send" list, will raise awareness.

So,BRAVA, friends! Knowledge is power. To those of you who passed the warning along with best of intentions, I hope I have answered these important & logical feedback questions. You still have my number; call, by all means. Anyone?

You are very responsible young women of whom I am very proud -- whether I know you or not. You have cared & been an angel to someone by being PROACTIVE! The victim and mother are appreciative, as well.

Sylvia

And, read on, if you're interested in the above-mentioned exchanges, including city officials.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
NOTE: I have deleted personal email addresses including full names & their places of employment since I don't have everyone's permission to pass along. I left the HOMEWOOD employees' & council members' emails. And,YES;still makes it all legitimate!

-----Original Message-----

From: Phil DoddSent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:16 AMTo: Barry McCulley; Allan Trippe; Allan Trippe (allantrippe@lawbham.com); Allyn Krall; Allyn Krall; Anthony Smith; David Hooks; Ginger Busby; Ginger Busby (Gbusby@burr.com); J J Bischoff (jjb4444@aol.com); J.J. Bischoff; Jackie Langlow; Jackie Langlow; Joe Falconer; Sam Brasseale; Sam Brasseale; Scott McBrayer; Scott Mcbrayer (scott.mcbrayer@sci-us.com); Smith, Anthony (Tony); Thomas HamnerCc: Tim Ross; rday@ebsco.com; Lori Dooley; Kent Baker; Ken Atkinson; Bob Copus; Chuck Moore; Dan Smith; Dennis Shepard

Subject: Rape/kidnapping email

As this email continues to circulate I am getting numerous calls and email. We have not taken any report concerning this case, the Birmingham Police have not received a report of this incident, although they are now in contact with the person who sent the original email and are trying to get to the bottom of it. Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office has not had a report, neither has Hoover, Mountain Brook or Vestavia Police. We also contacted the Rape response center mentioned in the original email and they have no knowledge of the incident, a check of local Fire Departments also reveals no calls of this nature during the time period in question. I do want to stress that this does not mean that the incident did not occur, but it does mean, that if it did it was not reported to any Police Agency that we have been in contact with.

If you receive this email or phone calls concerning it please pass on what I have discovered so far. As I stated the Birmingham Police are following up to try determine the nature of this incident.

Thank you,

Phillip Dodd
Chief of Police
HOMEWOOD POLICE DEPARTMENT
1833 29TH Avenue South
Homewood, Alabama 35209
Email: phil.dodd@homewoodal.org
205.332.6235
FAX 205.877.8648

No comments: